Thursday, July 17, 2008

We are coming out of the woods!


We headed out to the woods the other day. We found a great secret little waterfall, if only the water wasn't soooo low...it would have been perfect! The kids love to get dirty and wet and somehow it seems that the theme recently has been getting caught in a little afternoon rain. One time the kids and I got drenched hiking up to Catawba Falls, then this day we all were caught in a little rain...including a downpour during the jeep ride home. This seems to be a trend in the jeep too, but the kids love it and laugh the whole way home each time. I have to say that I too love the occasional afternoon thunderstorm during the summer. In Florida we had them all the time and I would love to go out to the beach just to watch the lightening...I miss that.






Throughout my life the woods and have always been so refreshing and being out in them was like jumping in a cold stream...refreshing, invigorating, and always cleared my head. It is still that way...and what a treat to pass that on to our kids I hope. I don't do it enough, but hopefully as they grow in that love too we will remind each other to escape to the woods for a little fun, laughter, and PERSPECTIVE!






Richard enjoys the outdoors often more through his lens. I think he loves a challenge...whether in sports, work, or in trying to capture beauty on film.








Just one other note...the dog (in the last post) is a no go! We are very sad...Addison never really knew that we were planning for her to come permanently and I am thankful she didn't know. I guess Molly will just be our cousin! On that note...keep us in mind if you hear of a cutie little dog that needs a home!




And for the few people that check my blog...if any of you know some great spots to hike, play in waterfalls, or get dirty...PLEASE SHARE! Maybe we can go with some of ya'll!





4 comments:

Sunday Grant Photography said...

so sad about the dog! you should go to gragg prong. there is a link off of my post. you would love it and so would the kids. where is this one, laurel ridge? have you been to that water fall?

Becky Swann said...

That looks like so much fun! I cannot think of any places to suggest so instead I will comment on Addison's wonderfully messy hair-do love it!

Julie said...

We need some places to go too. I love your pictures!

You always write the most encouraging and sweetest comments for everyone. Thank ya.......when are you coming back to class?

Unknown said...

What sweet post heidi, you paint a beautiful picture with words as Richard takes them too.
I love the one of you all walking away for some reason I always love walking away pictures.
So great that you guys love to be in the woods.
Graveyard fields, black balsam and max patch are some of our favorites. I've heard that the Dupont national forest has some amazing spots too with waterfalls and such, we've been meaning to go over there.
We will go with you anywhere anytime (when camp is over of course).